The simplest ingredients can make the best Spanish dishes – and what could be better than a filling, nutritious and delicious tuna and potato salad dressed with the finest (Andalucian, naturally) extra virgin olive oil and Sherry vinegar?
This is a complete meal in itself, and is the perfect picnic dish for lunch on one of my favourite Costa de la Luz beaches – take it in a Tupperware container, and give everyone a fork to dig in (or a plate each if you’re being posh). Extra bite, and colour, are added by the capers, paprika and parsley – if your lunch guests include children, you could have a special version for them without the strong flavours.
You will need:
- 1kg waxy salad potatoes, peeled or skinned
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 175g flaked tuna fish
- 6 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbs Sherry vinegar
- 1½ tbs drained capers
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
- 1 tsp rock salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Smoked paprika
- Chopped fresh parsley (loads)
How to make the dish:
- Boil the potatoes until tender and drain
- While still warm add the olive oil, sherry vinegar and salt
- Fold together with the other ingredients
- Decant onto serving platter or bowl
- Sprinkle with smoked paprika and the parsley.
This can be made in advance and kept in the fridge, but is best served room temperature. Enjoy!
Other nice to knows…
- Serves: 4
- Preparation time: 10
- Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
- Calories: approx. 260 calories per helping
Like my tuna and potato salad recipe and looking for another typically Andalucian dish to go with it? Check out this classic tortilla recipe.