What You’ll Learn at Annie B’s Spanish Kitchen
Our cookery sessions start around 10am with shopping for our lunch goodies. On fish day we head to Barbate Fish Market to select the very best for our lunch. Following our first reviving Manzanilla around 1pm, we move smoothly into lunch consisting of the culinary miracles we’ve conjured up. Lunch is usually served round the pool or on the roof terrace with glorious views over Vejer and towards Morocco. Lunch will always start with Sherry and wine will be served. Guests are free to leave after lunch (Spanish style, around 4.30pm), to have a Siesta in their hotel or on the beach!
But what sort of cooking will you be doing during your time at Annie B’s? The following selection of traditional Spanish dishes – with the odd dash of Moroccan cuisine thrown in for good measure – all crop up…
The Freshest Fish & Seafood
- Food in southern Spain mostly revolves around fish – the perfect match for the local wine, Sherry.
- Atun de Almadraba – carpaccio is our favourite
- Chocos – the world famous cuttlefish in paellas, arroz negro and with almonds
- Boquerones – pickled and salted – you will prepare them from scratch. Normally served with the first Manzanilla of the day
- Pescado a la Sal – a famous dish of the area. Whole plump seabass and bream, encased in salt from Cádiz and immediately baked. This will be the most tender fish you’ll ever have eaten
- Gambas de Sanlucar – the sweetest pink prawns with a flavour of Manzanilla! That’s what the say locally but a warm sweet prawn in one hand and a glass of Manzanilla in the other – heaven!
The Very Best Spanish Ingredients (To Name But A Few)
- Gazpachos – red (tomato), white (almond) and green (melon)
- Gambas Ajillo – juicy pink prawns sizzling in spicy garlic
- Salad of Tuna, Roasted Red Pepper, Egg, Onion, Capers & Parsley
- Pollo en Romero – yummy local chicken laced with Rosemary, Sherry & Oregano
- Albondigas de Cerdo y Chorizo (Spanish meatballs) with Sherried Tomato Sauce
- Tortilla de Patatas
- Braised Artichokes & Jamon
- Tostas con Chocolate, Olive Oil & Salt
Looking for the full Annie B experience? Have a look at the range of cooking holidays we offer…
Fly-by-night visit to Vejer planned? No problem. We also offer day classes to introduce you to the best of Spanish food…
People Love Annie B.
Here’s what they have said
And now Cadiz!
Jennifer G, Liverpool, September 2019
We first met Annie when we attended one of her week long cooking courses a few years ago. Since then we joined her on her Menorcan Tour and this year her Cadiz Tour. Great food and wine and enjoying our days with wonderful like minded people. No one day the same and always interesting. Highly recommended.
It’s breathtakingly beautiful. Your first glimpse of the town is as a blinding flash of white on a hilltop against the bluest of blue skies. Up close it’s just as easy on the eye, too – a labyrinth of narrow, cobbled streets winding its way between quiet squares, churches and handsome historical buildings, it’s a photographer’s dream.
Whether it’s your first time here or you need help organising a large group, getting to Vejer de la Frontera could hardly be easier.
You’re spoilt for choice! Private terrace? Spectacular views? Use of private pool? Hotel? B&B? Apartment? Vejer is filled with lots of wonderful places to stay.
Latest From Annie B’s Blog
Spanish Culinary Experiences