Oranges and lemons are the perfect ingredient for bringing a bit of zingy Mediterranean flavour to your table. This cake recipe is delicious – and is even better the next day chilled out of the fridge…
You will need:
200g castor sugar
100g ground almonds
1 tsp baking powder
200ml olive oil
Zest of 1 x lemon and 1 x orange
How to make the dish:
1. Mix all dry ingredients together.
2. Beat eggs by hand and add olive oil.
3. Fold dry and wet together then pour into a 21cm spring tin, lined with bakewell silicone paper.
4. Pop the cake into the cold oven and turn up to 170 degrees.
5. Bake for up to 1 hour – depending on how long it takes for the oven to heat up. (In my oven it takes 30 mins until it’s perfectly cooked.)
And whilst the cake is cooking, prepare the drizzle:
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 4 tbs orange juice
- 50g sugar
- Cinnamon stick
- 8-10 cardamon pods
- 2 Star Anise
Bring to boil and simmer for a few minutes.
Pour all over cake and serve with a blob of crème fraiche sprinkled with cinnamon on the side, and a glass of glass of chilled sweet moscatel or Cream Sherry.
Other nice to knows…
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes to 1 hour
Calories: 330 calories per helping
Like the sound of this orange and lemon drizzle cake and want to know how to make more delicious Spanish cake recipes? Sign up for one of my courses.