Chorizo and Chestnut Soup Recipe
This hearty winter warmer of a soup is packed with flavour – from the sweetness of the chestnuts to the spicy chorizo and the smoky paprika. Serve with crusty bread and a side salad for a full meal in a bowl.
You will need:
- 1 medium onion, peeled, 1 medium carrot, peeled and 1 celery stick.
- 150g spicy (picante) cooking chorizo, skinned and diced, Use Chorizo IBERICO if possible
- 2 garlic cloves (optional)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Pinch of saffron
- Generous Splash of dry sherry
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and roughly diced
- 250g roasted, cooked and peeled chestnuts
- Approx 750ml chicken or vegetable stock (make sure it’s hot)
- Approx 60ml natural yoghurt, to serve
- Olive oil may be required if not enough chorizo oil
How to make the dish:
1. Sauté the chorizo in a dry hot pan for approximately 2 minutes. Spoon out the chorizo leaving the oil in the pan.
2. Dice the onion and finely slice the carrot & celery. Sauté in the chorizo oil for 5 minutes and allow to soften. Add crushed garlic if using, the cumin and saffron. Cook for a further 2 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse.
3. Pour in a splash of sherry to deglaze the pan. Roughly dice the tomatoes and chestnuts and add to the pan with the stock and all but a few bits of chorizo (save for garnish). Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
4. Transfer the soup to a liquidiser and blend. Or use a blender on a stick in the pan. Season to taste. If you prefer the soup a little thinner, loosen the consistency with a splash of boiling water.
5. Pour into four soup bowls and garnish with a spoonful of natural yoghurt. Sprinkle the cooked chorizo on top and serve.
Other nice to knows…
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Calories: 395 calories per helping
Like my chorizo and chestnut soup recipe? For another hearty winter dish, check out my take on Spanish meatballs.