Looking for a winter dish to chase off the cold? My partridge with rice recipe is a hearty Spanish stew packed with lots of warming flavours – including plenty of Sherry, of course!
You will need:
- 2 partridges, cleaned and cut in half
- 5 tbs olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic – sliced
- 1 large onion – chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- Lots of Fino/Oloroso Sherry
- A pinch of saffron strands, soaked in some warm water
- 1 cup of rice (preferably Bomba)
- Chorizo (optional)
How to make the dish:
- Warm the olive oil in a large sauté pan. Add onion and cook for 5 mins. Then add garlic and gently cook for further 5 mins until a sweetness is achieved.
- Add the partridge and seal.
- Pour over Sherry, a little water and add the bay leaves. Gently poach until juices of the birds run clear and you are happy they are cooked through.
- When the birds are cooked, remove them from pan and keep warm.
- If using chorizo, at this stage seal all the slices in the pan and remove when done.
- Add the cup of rice to the oil in the pan and stir until all the grains are coated.
- Add 3 cups of water and the saffron. Bring to the boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until all liquid has been absorbed by the rice and the rice has reached a texture you are happy with. You may want to add more liquid.
- Add the chorizo and the birds to the rice and leave to rest for 5 mins.
- Either serve the rice on the side or mix through.
- Optional extras: add some chopped fresh ginger with the garlic. Fry some mushrooms with the chorizo and add to the rice when done. Add some chopped chestnuts or any dried fruit. Try with any birds at all.
Other nice to knows…
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours
Calories: 320 calories per helping
Like my partridge with rice recipe? For another classic warming Spanish dish, check out this delicious chorizo and chestnut soup recipe.
Or if you want to find out the role that Sherry means to cooking – and life – down here in southern Spain, sign up to my Sherry and culinary tour of Jerez.