How to make the perfect tortilla is a hotly contested subject in Vejer – everyone has a different opinion on the matter. I’ve been working with Pepi since I started Annie B’s Spanish Kitchen, however, and her family Spanish omelette recipe is a thing of rare, simple beauty.
You will need:
- 3 x large peeled and diced potatoes
- 1/2 chopped onion
- Chorizo, green pepper, jamón etc.
- 3 large or 4 medium eggs, whisked
- 400mls of mild olive oil
How to make the dish:
- Heat oil until a potato cube sizzles when thrown in. Mix the potatoes with a teaspoon of salt and then add to the oil, stirring occasionally until soft (20 mins approx).
- Add the chopped onion and cook for a further 5 mins.
- Add any other ingredient and cook for a few more minutes.
- Remove potatoes and pour into a sieve, held over a saucepan. Drain and then add to the whisked eggs. Mix.
- Add a tbsp of the hot oil back into the fry pan and pour in the potato and egg mixture.
- Cook until set and then flip over.
- Cook for a further few minutes and then decant onto a plate.
Other nice to knows…
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Calories: 361 calories per helping
Or, if you fancy learning how to cook delicious Spanish food first-hand, sign up to one of my upcoming cookery courses.